What you will learn
The Golf Machinery Maintenance course is designed to describe the working principles, operation and maintenance of a range of turf and grounds care machinery and compares the performance of selected machinery and equipment.
The main aim of this course is to provide students with knowledge to match machinery requirements with the objectives for a golf course.
During this course you will learn how the type of machine, its performance and efficiency will impact on the effectiveness of the workforce and the quality of surfaces produced.
You will learn the various machines used on a golf course and their various specific roles. This course ties in with the Golf Course Maintenance course as modern machinery is used in nearly all aspects of course maintenance.
Examples of machinery used:
- Greens Mower.
- Fairway Mower.
- Utility Vehicles.
- Tractor Operation.
- Aeration Equipment.
- Spraying Equipment.
At the end of the course you will have achieved the following outcomes that will enable you to achieve the performance criteria noted.
Outcome 1 - Describe internal combustion engines, and other power units, drive-paths and working principles of turf maintenance machinery.
- Identify and describe internal combustion engines and alternatives used in sports turf machinery.
- Identify and describe drive paths and the drive path components.
- Identify the working principles and components of grass cutting and turf aeration machinery.
Outcome 2 - Select and use appropriate machinery for given tasks in sports turf or grounds care.
- Select machines for a range of turf and grounds care operations.
- Set and adjust machines according to performance requirement.
- Carry out pre-start checks as described in operator manual.
- Identify common starting faults and describe remedies.
- Operate machines correctly adhering to health and safety and industry requirements.
- Complete tasks to accepted industry standards.
- Carry out post-use cleaning and pre-storage checks on turf maintenance machines.
- Store machines according to operator manual requirements.
Outcome 3 - Compare specifications and work rates of turf maintenance machinery.
- Compare specifications and identify differences in turf and grounds care machines used for similar purposes.
- Calculate potential work rates and performance based on differences in specification.
You are expected to follow the lectures in order and will be required to watch 90% of the videos before you can advance to the next lecture.
Good luck, and enjoy!